Happy May! Ack! It’s May already! I've taken a short break from updating the blog because I had some work-related travel at the end of April. That also led me to get pretty ill and we're at the tail end of the whole family getting through it! I was highly contagious! After much rest and recovery, today, I’m back to share a baked eggs recipe adapted from the one pinned from Fit Foodie Finds. I added Spam, spinach, and grape tomatoes.
I made this yesterday for Mother's Day. A day off for me is to be able to cook for my family... or at least attempt to. :) I made this brunch for my mom and family. It wasn't anything fancy but it just looked so beautiful with the different colors coming together in a muffin tin.
Spam may not be the healthiest with the sodium levels, but I've always been a fan. I became an even bigger fan when I went to Hawaii and ate Spam musubi for the first time. So once in a while, we'll have a meal with some Spam -- and it is a delicious one. To help with the saltiness, I don't add any additional salt to whatever I'm cooking and I add fruits to compliment the meal.
This recipe makes 6 baked egg muffins.
- 6 eggs
- 3-4 ounces of diced Spam
- 3 large grape tomatoes sliced in halves
- 1 1/2 handfuls of roughly chopped spinach
- unsalted butter
- apple slices (garnish and compliment Spam)
- Generously rub muffin tin with unsalted butter.
- Sprinkle a spoon full of diced Spam into each cup.
- Layer chopped spinach leaves over spam.
- Break eggs into each cup, carefully, keeping yolk intact.
- Add one half of each grape tomato to each cup.
- Add a chopped spinach leaf to the top.
- Sprinkle some more Spam around the yolk.
- Add fresh pepper and a very small smidgen of butter to the top of the Spam.
Preheat oven at 350. Bake for 15-17 minutes depending on cooked you prefer the yolk. Serve with slices of apples and toast for a delicious and easy breakfast. So simple, so beautiful, and so delicious.
Get cracking those eggs!